Comparing the effects of service-learning versus nonservice-learning project experiences on service leadership emergence and meaning schema transformation

Research output: Journal PublicationsJournal Article (refereed)

1 Scopus Citations

Abstract

We investigate the impacts of service-learning project experiences, as compared with those of nonservice-learning project experiences, on the emergence of service leadership and the transformation of meaning schemas. We examine the mediating effect of project efficacy belief and the moderating effect of the responsiveness of partner organization representatives (PORs). The context is a capstone BBA course at a university in Hong Kong. We administered three waves of questionnaires to 491 senior-year students and obtained 275 matched responses. Among this sample, 56% of the students were undertaking service-learning projects, and the remaining 44% were undertaking a comparable type of field-study project, but without service-learning. Our quantitative results indicate that engaging in the service-learning mode of learning, in comparison to the nonservice-learning mode, is more effective in inducing service leadership emergence and meaning schema transformation. Project efficacy belief mediates the effect of project experiences (i.e., service-learning versus nonservice-learning) on service leadership emergence. POR responsiveness moderates the indirect effects of project experiences on service leadership emergence and meaning schema transformation through project efficacy belief. A qualitative case illustration that was drawn from students’ end-of-semester reflective reports provides further support for our hypothesized model.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)474-495
Number of pages22
JournalAcademy of Management Learning and Education
Volume17
Issue number4
Early online date17 Dec 2018
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Dec 2018

Fingerprint

leadership
learning
experience
Service learning
organization
student
field of study
semester
Hong Kong
Efficacy
questionnaire
university
Responsiveness

Bibliographical note

This research is supported by an “Education for Service” Faculty Grant, Lingnan University, Hong Kong awarded to Tingting Chen.

Cite this

@article{3cfefc0fb4584c378506a379b06a8f71,
title = "Comparing the effects of service-learning versus nonservice-learning project experiences on service leadership emergence and meaning schema transformation",
abstract = "We investigate the impacts of service-learning project experiences, as compared with those of nonservice-learning project experiences, on the emergence of service leadership and the transformation of meaning schemas. We examine the mediating effect of project efficacy belief and the moderating effect of the responsiveness of partner organization representatives (PORs). The context is a capstone BBA course at a university in Hong Kong. We administered three waves of questionnaires to 491 senior-year students and obtained 275 matched responses. Among this sample, 56{\%} of the students were undertaking service-learning projects, and the remaining 44{\%} were undertaking a comparable type of field-study project, but without service-learning. Our quantitative results indicate that engaging in the service-learning mode of learning, in comparison to the nonservice-learning mode, is more effective in inducing service leadership emergence and meaning schema transformation. Project efficacy belief mediates the effect of project experiences (i.e., service-learning versus nonservice-learning) on service leadership emergence. POR responsiveness moderates the indirect effects of project experiences on service leadership emergence and meaning schema transformation through project efficacy belief. A qualitative case illustration that was drawn from students’ end-of-semester reflective reports provides further support for our hypothesized model.",
author = "Tingting CHEN and SNELL, {Robin Stanley} and WU, {Xinru, Crystal}",
note = "This research is supported by an “Education for Service” Faculty Grant, Lingnan University, Hong Kong awarded to Tingting Chen.",
year = "2018",
month = "12",
doi = "10.5465/amle.2016.0309",
language = "English",
volume = "17",
pages = "474--495",
journal = "Academy of Management Learning and Education",
issn = "1537-260X",
publisher = "George Washington University",
number = "4",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Comparing the effects of service-learning versus nonservice-learning project experiences on service leadership emergence and meaning schema transformation

AU - CHEN, Tingting

AU - SNELL, Robin Stanley

AU - WU, Xinru, Crystal

N1 - This research is supported by an “Education for Service” Faculty Grant, Lingnan University, Hong Kong awarded to Tingting Chen.

PY - 2018/12

Y1 - 2018/12

N2 - We investigate the impacts of service-learning project experiences, as compared with those of nonservice-learning project experiences, on the emergence of service leadership and the transformation of meaning schemas. We examine the mediating effect of project efficacy belief and the moderating effect of the responsiveness of partner organization representatives (PORs). The context is a capstone BBA course at a university in Hong Kong. We administered three waves of questionnaires to 491 senior-year students and obtained 275 matched responses. Among this sample, 56% of the students were undertaking service-learning projects, and the remaining 44% were undertaking a comparable type of field-study project, but without service-learning. Our quantitative results indicate that engaging in the service-learning mode of learning, in comparison to the nonservice-learning mode, is more effective in inducing service leadership emergence and meaning schema transformation. Project efficacy belief mediates the effect of project experiences (i.e., service-learning versus nonservice-learning) on service leadership emergence. POR responsiveness moderates the indirect effects of project experiences on service leadership emergence and meaning schema transformation through project efficacy belief. A qualitative case illustration that was drawn from students’ end-of-semester reflective reports provides further support for our hypothesized model.

AB - We investigate the impacts of service-learning project experiences, as compared with those of nonservice-learning project experiences, on the emergence of service leadership and the transformation of meaning schemas. We examine the mediating effect of project efficacy belief and the moderating effect of the responsiveness of partner organization representatives (PORs). The context is a capstone BBA course at a university in Hong Kong. We administered three waves of questionnaires to 491 senior-year students and obtained 275 matched responses. Among this sample, 56% of the students were undertaking service-learning projects, and the remaining 44% were undertaking a comparable type of field-study project, but without service-learning. Our quantitative results indicate that engaging in the service-learning mode of learning, in comparison to the nonservice-learning mode, is more effective in inducing service leadership emergence and meaning schema transformation. Project efficacy belief mediates the effect of project experiences (i.e., service-learning versus nonservice-learning) on service leadership emergence. POR responsiveness moderates the indirect effects of project experiences on service leadership emergence and meaning schema transformation through project efficacy belief. A qualitative case illustration that was drawn from students’ end-of-semester reflective reports provides further support for our hypothesized model.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=85050576766&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.5465/amle.2016.0309

DO - 10.5465/amle.2016.0309

M3 - Journal Article (refereed)

VL - 17

SP - 474

EP - 495

JO - Academy of Management Learning and Education

JF - Academy of Management Learning and Education

SN - 1537-260X

IS - 4

ER -